Just a few quick impressions on a rainy Friday morning:
- Cool, rainy weather on Thursday afternoon and evening was a most welcome, and most unexpected gift! It’s so hard to keep up mental and emotional energy if your physical energy is being drained by oppressive heat and humidity.
- Given the constant heat and humidity this week, my students’ level of engagement in our shared work was also an unexpected gift, as I’ve said several times this week. It’s easy for them to tune out in exhaustion and frustration – and that’s when I start to hear about “those kids” and “I work so hard, and all THEY want to do is sit there” from tired, angry, exhausted colleagues. I haven’t heard that yet this year – another unexpected gift.
- Last spring I had signed up for Steve Blank’s course about Building a Startup … and months went by with no word. Then, yesterday evening, when I least expected it, I learned that the course itself will be starting up this month. A welcome gift – and exactly when I needed it!
- I had some wonderful, unexpected conversations yesterday afternoon and evening – one with a dear friend, two with folks I’d just met.
- I woke up this morning to discover this from a Google+ share. Do I have time to do it with everything else on my plate? Do I have time not to do it? I’m not sure. But even the existence of such a course feels like an unexpected gift.
I was reminded yesterday of a profound statement by an old friend, who said that gifts are all around us, but we miss them because you have to have your hands open to receive a gift. And so often, we’re too busy holding on (for dear life!) to something else, so we miss the gifts all around us.
What do you think?
quid respondētis, amīcī?